Photos, Links, Contemplations and Fascinations
A blog suitable for "ADD" challenged surfers (like myself) who must be able to read a post within 2 minutes or less

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Dual Core Linux Box -- Update

Its been 4 years since I bought my current computer (HP Kayak XU800 Pentium III; 256 Mb RAM -- which I upgraded to 512). I originally loaded RH 7.2 or thereabouts and about a year ago went to RH 9. The Kayak came with a 9.1 Gb SCSI hardrive and I added a 36 Gb 10k Seagate SCSI. I also added an old IDE Quantum Fireball that I had from my previous linux box. The upgrade to RH 9 and M$ XP was a pain (dual boot using GRUB) but since then (about 1 1/2 years ago) this system has been un-believably stable (I rarely run XP). I have been really happy with it. However, I want a new faster machine with more memory and more speed and I have decided to go dual core. This post will be a diary of the process and progress.

If your like me (running a linux distribution) then you need to know which hardware works with linux. A good source of information on that topic is Linux Hardware.

On the topic of building a pc from components, the following two links (Tom's Hardware) are incredibly good.
My list of Components
  • DVD/CD Burner: dual layer unit
  • Back-Up Mechanism: Although I am planning on mirroring (Hardware implemented Raid 1) I also plan to back-up to an external drive through a USB port.
As of the original posting date (January 2006) this machine would have cost about 2K. However, prices have dropped.

3 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Oh my goodness!

I've heard about Linux, but I have never used it.

I'm looking to upgrade my computer as well, but I won't be building it.

Stopped by to say Happy New Year!

8:49 PM

 
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Just wondering how you're doing. I hope that you're okay.

later...

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Tony Heywood said...

Thanks for such an interesting post. I will be back to read the blog again. I have found that Interoute have a great product -
ethernet reach

7:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home