Photos, Links, Contemplations and Fascinations
A blog suitable for "ADD" challenged surfers (like myself) who must be able to read a post within 2 minutes or less

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Polar Bear Triathlon 2007 White Sands Missile Range New Mexico

Based upon my experience I would say: Avoid this triathlon -- story below.

I'm hoping that a lot of folks find this blog so that they won't get hosed by this triathlon.

I live in Albuquerque NM and its a 4 hour drive to white sands missile range. The race was scheduled for Saturday Dec 8 2007 at 8AM and I drove to Las Cruces Friday night -- I arrived at about 6:30PM and then checked into my hotel and set my alarm for 5:30AM. I woke up Saturday morning and did my pre-race food routine and checked out of the hotel. I left the hotel at about 6:40 AM and arrived at the entrance of white sands missile range at 7:14AM. There was a large line of cars waiting at the base entrance and the line was moving very slowly but I didn't worry -- I had heard that they would hold up the start of the race until they could get everyone in the gate -- oh boy was I wrong on that.

At about 8:10AM a guy came running back along the long line of cars and trucks with bikes affixed to their bumbers etc. He went by me as I heard him say "the race is already started." He kept moving down the long line of cars and trucks behind me apparently repeating this message. I suddenly was very pissed off and then a minute or so later he came back by me. Now he was pissed off and he was yelling "don''t ask me any questions -- I'm very busy and I don't have time for it!" He did say that if we wanted to stick around there was a possibility for credit towards next year's events. I wasn't in any mood to wait any longer and I was angry. So I just left.

Bottom line:
Information on this race is very difficult to obtain and you can have a very bad experience as I just described.
  • There is no real website about the race. Just a website that says that there is a race.
  • The website incorrectly states that the race begins at 0900 hours -- I just got lucky: I called Thursday to confirm my registration. By chance I found out that in fact the race begins at 0800 hours
  • There is absolutely no information on the matter of getting into the gate -- like arrive at 6AM so that you can have time to get through the gate. They were taking about 5 to 10 minutes to process a single car. There were maybe 50 cars in front of me. I didn't time their process time but they were moving very slowly.
This turn of events was very disappointing as I've been training and recovering from an injury over the last 7 months. This particular race is essentially the very very last race of the season in New Mexico but it would have been my first of the season as I was finally healthy and prepared. I drove back to Albuquerque and on the way decided I would do my own triathlon -- just a training session where I push myself just a bit harder than normal.

I got my bike, helmet and shoes set up in the garage for a quick transition. I have a 3 mile run circuit and I pushed myself a bit (22:53). Not as fast as I would have run in a race but not bad considering there was no competition. Then I quickly transitioned to my bike and rode into a 25MPH headwind along with some rain. I was determined and so I pushed ahead. I rode out 6.2 miles and turned around. Now I had a tail wind and I hauled some butt. At times I was going 28MPH and I could see the leaves flying around me at the same pace -- thats how I know the approximate speed of the head wind. 42 minutes later I was done with the ride. The total time for the run, transition and bike was 1 hour 6 minutes. I was happy with that but I'm still not happy about the management of the Polar Bear Triathlon.

Now its the off-season and I'll have about 3 months of easy training. I'll be back next year with a vengeance but I won't be back to White Sands Missile Range for any races -- and I would recommend you do the same (especially if you don't live in the immediate area).

4 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

My name is Blake, I also drove four hours from Albuquerque to participate in this years Polar Bear. Myself and three other participants were in the same vehicle waiting to get on the base when we received the news that the event had begun without us. We decided to stick around and finally made it to the start line, after registration and set up, at about 8:50am. We went ahead and timed ourselves for the entire race. When we recovered and went to the spaghetti lunch and awards ceremony, being one of the last to attend, we found that they had not started yet. About 10 minutes later we heard an announcement that the awards were not going to be handed out until everyone was back from the race and there were still four more bicyclists on the course. My question is if they were going to wait for everyone to finish at the end of the race before they proceeded with the awards, then why could they not have waited for everyone to get through the gate to begin the race? Needless to say myself and my fellow athletes were incredibly disappointed with this triathlon and its organization.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Blake said...

My name is Blake, I also drove four hours from Albuquerque to participate in this years Polar Bear. Myself and three other participants were in the same vehicle waiting to get on the base when we received the news that the event had begun without us. We decided to stick around and finally made it to the start line, after registration and set up, at about 8:50am. We went ahead and timed ourselves for the entire race. When we recovered and went to the spaghetti lunch and awards ceremony, being one of the last to attend, we found that they had not started yet. About 10 minutes later we heard an announcement that the awards were not going to be handed out until everyone was back from the race and there were still four more bicyclists on the course. My question is if they were going to wait for everyone to finish at the end of the race before they proceeded with the awards, then why could they not have waited for everyone to get through the gate to begin the race? Needless to say myself and my fellow athletes were incredibly disappointed with this triathlon and its organization.

1:03 PM

 
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I'm sorry about your bad experience.

I know that it must have been VERY disappointing. Especially with all of the training and anticipation that one would have for the 'big' day.

I know I haven't been by in a while...

Stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Blessed and Prosperous New Year.

later...

8:05 PM

 
Blogger CautiouslyAudacious said...

The races at any of the bases tend to have these types of problems unfortunately due to the "security" issues. I remember one year at the Jay Benson they started 2 hours late because they weren't letting anyone on base that had passengers in their car that weren't on the list. Normally I've had good luck with the Polar Bear but did have to show up very early. The "windy or tax day" triathlon they do there is another story though. Good Luck!

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home