Photos, Links, Contemplations and Fascinations
A blog suitable for "ADD" challenged surfers (like myself) who must be able to read a post within 2 minutes or less

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Angel Food Butterfinger Dessert



This post is in keeping with my tradition of shamelessly copying recipes. However, there is a caveat -- my mom has been making this dessert for about 30 years. I'm not sure where she got the recipe but it wasn't cooks.com!

About a year ago, I had a hankering for this dessert and I couldn't get in touch with my mom -- so I googled. To my surprise I found the recipe at cooks.com. The only variation that my mom had on this is the addition of walnuts.

  • Freshly baked angle food cake (you will have some cake left over)
  • 1/4 cup butter (1 stick that has been softened enough to blend)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 pint whipping cream (2 small cartons)
  • 3 2.1 ounce butterfinger candy bars (sliver with a knife along length of candy bar)
  • very finely chopped walnuts: quantity is to taste
After the cake is cool, remove it from the pan and break into small pieces and set aside.

Sliver the candy bars and chop the walnuts. Combine and set aside. The exact quantity of walnuts and even candy bars is really a matter of taste.

Whip butter, egg yolks, powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Whip the whipping cream until light and fluffy and then combine with the sugar mixture.

Next, we will layer cake, candy bar and the creme mixture in a 9-inch pie dish/pan/tin. Spread an even layer of cake pieces over the bottom and then using a spatula, spread a smooth layer of the cream mixture over the cake. Sprinkle the candy/walnut mixture over the cream layer and then add another layer of cake and so on. The 9-inch pie dish will be heaping when you are finished. I usually end up with about 3 layers and its likely you will have about 1/4th of the cake and a small amount of the cream mixture left over. I usually make another small cereal bowl full with the left overs. Enjoy but be careful -- this dessert is rich and will fill you up almost instantly.

2 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Looks and sounds like it could contain about a b'jillion calories.

No wonder you 'crave' it!

8:09 PM

 
Blogger jakalof said...

:)
Yes -- it does have at least a b'jillion calories. But -- it is so insanely rich in flavor that its only possible to eat a small amount at a time. Its good for parties where a lot of people take a taste -- I have found it to be very popular at parties:)

7:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home